|Warning: This couch may contain chemicals harmful to your health|
Legislators are moving forward this session with a proposal to get this chemical, called chlorinated Tris, banned once and for all here in Washington.
Bills have now been introduced in both the House and the Senate, called the "Toxic-Free Kids and Families Act." A similar measure passed the House last year, but didn't make it into law. This joint press release from Rep. Kevin Van De Wege and Sen. Sharon Nelson describes how this year's proposal is different, and why now is the right time to protect consumers - especially children - from these harmful chemicals.
But why is something we stopped putting in pajamas over 30 years ago still showing up in everything from couches to strollers?
Supposedly for fire safety reasons. Chlorinated Tris has long been touted as a flame retardant to help keep consumers safe. But a recent Chicago Tribune investigative series uncovered deception behind these claims. And with safer alternatives available, this might be the year the Toxic-Free Kids and Families Act gets all the way through the legislature.
Read this story in Spanish here.