Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Fact-checking the Debate

As we trudge through the Republican filibuster-like substance during this debate on SB 6130, we here on the typey end of the Advance have noticed… let’s call them “deficiencies” in the truth.

So we thought we’d set the record straight periodically. Here’s our first fact-check:
Rep. Mike Armstrong, during his floor remarks opposed to the bill, mentioned the “overwhelming support of the people” that passed I-960.

Let’s go to the virtual chalkboard:
I-728 – Class-size initiative: 72%
I-732 – Teacher COLA’s: 63%
I-1029 – Long term care for seniors and the disabled: 73%
I-960 – 51%

So if I-960 passed with overwhelming support at 51%, what do you call I-1029’s? Mega-overwhelming support? Ginormous support? I'm-so-tired-I-could-use-a-red-bull-kind-of-support?

Apture