Friday, May 1, 2009

Hands as props, taking off our pants, President Truman and other quotable moments

Legislators spend a lot of time on the House floor, and they spend a lot of time talking.

With 98 people talking endlessly for hours on end, funny stuff gets said. On both sides of the aisle.

Rep. Jeannie Darneille has become a bit famous for her compilations of funny quotes and mishaps on the House floor. Below is a small sampling for your reading pleasure.

President Truman was a fan of mine. - Jim Moeller

Mr. Speaker, I suggest that we will need to take our pants off. We’ll need to take our pants off and buy a pair that is about three sizes smaller. This is not a sufficient belt tightening bill, Mr. Speaker. - Gary Alexander

The first speaker did a good job of explaining the bill. Now I’d like to re-explain it. - Larry Crouse

This bill will help small mayors. - John Driscoll

I’m happy to speak eloquently on this issue. - Christine Rolfes

In the interest of brevity, I’ll try to be brief. - Ross Hunter

This bill is about service dog training for state employees. - Sam Hunt

Mr. Speaker, I’d like permission to use my hand as a prop. - Brad Klippert / Be careful about your gesture. - Jeff Morris

We’re just clipping the hair off the fur ball of government, cutting something that doesn’t work anyway. - Hans Dunshee

Since this is an elevator bill, you can either vote up or down. - Joe Schmick

Mr. Speaker, I rise to ask for a “no” vote on whatever it is we are debating. Because I’m tired, I’m going to sit down and ask you to vote “no.” - Tami Green

There was a drafting error on this amendment. It has my name on it. - Larry Seaquist

Thank you, Mr. Speaker. The amendment adds a certain je ne c'est qua to the bill. - Ross Hunter

(Want a few more? Joe Turner at the News Tribune also reported on a selection of Rep. Darneille's compilation here.)

Apture